Thread: Wiimote software or similar??

Beans

Wiimote software or similar??

I found a guy who created free software for windows that will allow a regular whiteboard or monitor to function just like a $5000 Smartboard (really a giant sized iPad run with a projector rather than backlighting), and all it takes is an infra-red pen, a Wii remote, and a bluetooth linkup to a computer to do it. The pen can be built with a Bic penshell and a Radio Shack LED if you follow instructions.

This is called a Wiimote.

His version doesn't have all the education-specific apps that Smartboard does (Smartboards mostly designed for classroom instruction), but it does seem to allow everything else, ie, you can run any windows program on it.

Is there a Linux version of this or some alternate? I'm worried about BSOD in the middle of a presentation, and I'd like some comfort that won't happen to me.

And I might be inclined to pay a programmer to duplicate any educational software that I can't get otherwise.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Wiimote software or similar??

There's CWiid, which allows you to use a Wiimote as an input device over Bluetooth. You can bind the buttons, accelerometer, and IR data to keyboard and mouse events, but it's no where near sophisticated enough as-is to use as a Smartboard replacement.

There's also GTK Wiimote Whiteboard, but it's from 2008 and it may or may not work.